CBS High Security straws are designed for cryopreservation of liquid biological samples such as plasma, serum, buffy coat, red blood cells, extracted DNA, urine, mouth wash, cell suspensions, bacterial or viral strains, gametes, embryos and gonadic tissue.
There are two different volumes available: 0.3 and 0.5 ml.
All Cryo Bio System straws are made from an ionomeric resin that is chemically inert, biocompatible and has physical characteristics resistant to ultra-low temperatures and pressures created by expanding liquids and liquid nitrogen. Sealed straws are resistance tested to 150 kg/cm2 (2133 lb/sq.inch). In order to have the lot number approved, both the seals and the material should resist to pressure tests.
Straws are filled by aspiration through an air permeable plug inside the straw. Two types of plugs are available:
- Factory plug made of two specifically woven polyamide fibers enclosing a polymerizing powder. In the filling procedure the powder polymerizes as soon as the liquid sample comes in contact and blocks the filling. Plugs can come in 6 different colors, for easy identification in the cold environment of a freezer.
- Hydrophobic plug made of a 0.22 µm membrane attached to a hollow insert. This membrane allows air to pass through it but neither liquid nor bacteria.
Directly after filling, both ends of the CBS High Security straw are thermally sealed with one of our specific machines: SYMS, PACE or MAPI. This makes the straw absolutely leak-proof, preventing contamination of the sample and its environment.
The primary identification of the straw in the cold environment of the freezer is by its color, while its definitive identification is by its alpha-numerical and bar code.
The CBS High Security straw is identified by tamper proof ink-jet print on a jacket around the straw. The special ink is resistant to liquid nitrogen and to ice crystals.
Once the straw is sealed, the jacket cannot be removed from the straw unless its ends are cut opened
A second process of identification is available for 0.3 ml straws where a colored identification rod with a label can be inserted inside the straw in the compartment behind the plug. This label can only be taken from the sample when the straw is opened.
For storage, CBS High Security straws are placed in colored compartments (visotubes) which are available in many colors. These are further placed into colored goblets. Color coding facilitates identification of straws upon retrieval. A goblet can easily hold 144 straws (12 visotubes).
- 0.3 ml and 0.5 ml straws
- Length: 130 mm after sealing
- Internal diameter: 2.5 mm
- Filling nozzles for manual filling: 0.3 and, 0.5 ml.
- Syringe connectors.
- Filling nozzles for MAPI and PACE automated filling.
- Filling nozzles for DIVA, Elbow Tip